Monday, May 30, 2016

Weekly Update - May 30th, 2016

Happy Memorial Day!

Hello everyone!

Awesome week, Elder Chan and I are both very content with our work. For fruits, we saw our investigating family (Sandra 35ish, Fatima 11 and Alondra 9) at Church for the fourth time and they came to a baptismal service for the other ward to prepare for their own next Sunday!! At this point, they are just anxiously waiting for the date. They know all of the lessons, love going to Church, study the BoM and are very excited to be baptized. At this particular baptismal service (yesterday), a couple who got married this last wednesday due to applying the law of chastity who recently moved from North Carolina were two of the three who were baptized. I was very happy to be able to interview them, though I struggled doing it in English (being that they took the lessons in English as well). Two less active members who we've been trying to activate also came for the first time! We've been working specifically to help them to read the BoM and maybe it's starting to take affect.

Another thing I learned this week, after learning to another degree about patience last week, was that you can't teach people who don't want to be taught. Being a missionary, it's easier with investigators if they don't want to learn because we can just stop visiting them, there's not a whole lot of change for them and we look for new people. With your companion, we're stuck 24/7 and before I would've tried to force upon him to learn until he changed. It's not something that happened before Elder Chan because all of my companions have had a lot more experience than me so there was little I could see to help them progress. When that happened with Elder Chan, I decided to take a different approach by giving him space to think. Worked a LOT better than my previous method and I feel like I am more prepared for life after the mission for this experience.

I don't know if I've extended this invitation before, but recently we've been having a lot of success working with the members. One YSA (Young Single Adult) 4 year convert who can't go on a mission even if she wanted to due to her Dad's health problems, has been coming with us sharing her testimony with Sandra and her daughters. Another YSA convert (by pure chance) has been coming with us regularly on Saturday afternoons to meet new investigators and sharing her strong testimony as well. I invite you all to go to a lesson with the missionaries this week and share an awesome testimony! Thanks everyone for your prayers and cares, love you!

-Elder Allgaier

pictures to come next week... sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment