Monday, April 4, 2016

Weekly update -- April 4th, 2016

Hello everyone,

Crazy week, but WOW, how about that General Conference! Elder Chan had kind of a tough week with homesickness and we took a trip to the offices so he could get some attention from the President. It seemed to work because he's been more focused and his testimony really makes a difference in the lessons. The thing about training is that the new missionaries come straight from their house and don't have any field experience apart from what they've learned in the MTC. I've had a little bit of experience and have used this last year to try a lot of different methods to have success, finding some methods that work like being enthusiastic, developing the gift of discernment and applying the lessons to the persons needs, even inviting them to be baptized in the first visit. Something that made me uncomfortable in my first few months. Elder Chan still has the idea that we are not allowed to invite people to be baptized the first visit, so, being the trainer, I've had to take the initiative to show that it really can work to fulfill the needs of the people we are teaching, something they want. Just a bit slower working when I have to show principles of teaching in real life instead of focusing more on the investigators. Training is fun though.

I loved the talks this conference, especially Elder Holland's ending words, the last before the semi-annual ice-cream treat, where he mentioned that we were blessed to have these moments of spiritual highs. Moses and Jesus also had these moments, but we all have to come down sometime. Jesus always had to end disputes and break up disagreements even after amazing sermons and teaching opportunities. After conference, we had to visit a few families who weren't willing to make the sacrifice to hear from modern day Prophets of God for some errand. We explained in Ether 12:12 with the Morales family that we cannot have any miracle without a sacrifice first, a proof of faith. The Dad really liked how we explained that and even shared his own example that if we don't plant a seed and care for it, we will never have a fruit. EXACTLY! I was very happy that he understood it because it showed that the Spirit really touched him. How cool of an experience.

I have yet to read your emails that you were all so nice to send me, but I'm excited to hear about your favorite talks. This week I want to invite you all to share your favorite talk with a friend. Preferrably a non-member so that they too can know about living prophets and Apostles, that part is really cool about the true Church to me. Let me know how it goes! Love you all and thank you for your prayers!


-Elder Allgaier

P.S. We also went to the temple, awesome.


On the way to the temple

Mexico City temple

At the temple

Zone Activity

a gift and strange workmanship from Grandma and I found it of great use to translate my notes....

No comments:

Post a Comment